[CQ-Contest] Tic Rotator Controller

Brian Moran brianmo at yahoo.com
Mon Jul 13 08:44:57 PDT 2009

I have some model of TIC rotator I'm trying to get ready for use; the controller that it came with was toast when I got it -- The design is pretty simple -- a DC motor (sure looks like a windshield wiper motor) and 500 ohm pot for position reading.

The Idiom press retrofit kit for the Tailtwister controller would be a GREAT way to re-do the controller -- were I to do it again, I would use the Idiom press kit (http://www.idiompress.com/rotor-ez.html) with some of the original Tic controller parts (like the power supply, the meter, potentiometer, and some switches).

What I did do was use a Modtronix single board computer (PIC based) that had a built-in Web server based on the Microchip reference design, added a couple of relays, and modified the webserver code to accept URLs with the Hygain/idiom-press commands; I can put the power supply and controller out at the tower base with other stuff, and control it all over the local area network by sending it commands (I have network running to the base of the tower).

Brian N9ADG