[CQ-Contest] Why the 10 min rule anyway?

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Fri Jul 31 15:50:04 PDT 2009

KI9A at aol.com wrote:
> Excuse my ignorance, and, not condoning the recent DQ's.
>
> But, what is the idea behind the 10 min rule for M/S, anyway?  It's  still
> a single transmitter, just multiple operators.  What makes this any
> different than a S/O making band changes?
>
> Just wondering.  Seems to me like a really silly rule...that's why I  need
> a decent explanation of why.
>
> 73- Chuck KI9A

Chuck,

The answer is pretty simple.  To prevent a multi-transmitter station
from using it's full capabilities to enter a category where the number
of transmitters in simultaenous use is limited (multi-1 or multi-2).

The ten-minute rule takes away most of the advantage of having multiple
simultaneous transmitters while giving the contest sponsors a tangible
way to enforce the rules of the catagory in an objective, measurable way.

Otherwise, what's to keep a multi-multi station from entering as
multi-single?

Dave/K8CC