[CQ-Contest] Xtreme category, catch 22

Gerry Hull gerry at w1ve.com
Tue Jun 16 16:42:51 PDT 2009

Soon we will all put ourselves out of business.

Look at our average age.  None of you are getting younger.

You certainly have a right to fight for the status quo.  Actually, you
have the status quo.  Xtreme is a new category.

If your brain can't get around it, don't enter the category -- You
won't be competing with Xtreme ops.

If you read the rules carefully, a panel of judges will determine the
best use and final winner of the Xtreme category.   If an Xtreme idiot
thinks they can win by pouring $$$ into remote rx's on each continent,
my feeling is the judges won't think this very creative -- especially
from a advance in technology perspective (heck, if you had the
money,you could have done this before the internet, although it would
have been cheating by existing rules).

There are tons of concepts for exteme that dont focus on remote rx's.

Try, my friends, try, to have a somewhat open mind.  The Holy Grail of
Contesting, winning in a "standard" category, will be around for as
long as most of us are alive.  Perhaps, maybe, we might get a few new
people interested in contesting with this category -- and perhaps more
QSOs.

You guys are too uptight, but free to express your exasperation.

73, Gerry, W1VE