[CQ-Contest] Tips for Traveling Contesters with checked radiosport bags

cn2r at cn2r.net cn2r at cn2r.net
Thu Jun 25 15:46:28 PDT 2009

I have traveled to the Caribbean, Oceania and Africa for the last few
decades.
I usually end up carrying equipment for my contest operation or for foreign
friends.
Most of the time this equipment includes items exceeding the 62" girth bag
limit.
I pack 6 foot tubing or antennas into a regular Ski bag( ~80" girth).
I have never had to pay an oversized charge for these bags in the past.

This past March, I went to Morocco for the WPX test.
I usually travel on DELTA airlines.
I checked 4 bags. My 2 Ski bags were 80" girth and all bags weighed less
then 50lbs.
I expected to pay ~$400.00. The check-in agent wanted $900.00 .
The agent measured the girth and asked me if there were skis in the bag.
I replied "No, the bags contain radiosporting equipment".
I showed them a copy of the CQWW WPX 2009 contest announcement.
They would not give my Radiosport a break.

I paid the $900 to Delta, (2 bags free, 3rd bag $200.00, 4th $350 plus an
extra charges of $350 (2 x $175) for the oversized bags.

When I returned home I wrote Delta 3 Emails before they finally responded.
My EMAIL inquired why my Radiosport baggage was not treated the same as the
Ski and golf sports?
The Delta website Golf and Ski Rule:
"The outside linear dimensions may exceed 80 inches and no excess baggage
fees will apply."
They also say that you can take a boot bag if the ski bag + boot bag is
under 50 pounds.

My Email to Delta airlines asked them to create a baggage category for
radiosporting.
Delta airlines called me on the phone and told me that the policy is on the
internet and "that's the way it is!". I was treated poorly after 20+ Delta
trips to Morocco.

TIPS:
1) Try another airline that may be more friendly towards Radiosport baggage.
2) If you need to take a bag that violates the 62" girth rule, try the
following.
    Find one old/broken ski and place it in your ski Radiosport bag
    Take one old/broken Golf club in you large bag.
3) The airline baggage fees are in a constant state of change.
Make sure you check on the Inet before you leave to avoid surprises.

I would appreciate any comments on your recent Radiosport baggage
experiences.
I am looking for another airline.

Jim W7EJ/CN2R