[CQ-Contest] Tips for Traveling Contesters with checked radiosport bags

Denis Pochuev - K7GK k7gk at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 25 20:34:32 PDT 2009

Thank you for sharing your experience, Jim.
I believe I can offer a smll tip based on my trip to J7 for CQWW in 2004.

I had a golf bag with a tri-bander, mast and other bags with lots of other radio stuff. After receiving my luggage I was told to step into a side room to answer some customs-related questions. There I was asked what was in my bags and I told  them a similar radiosporting story. After that I was informed that there was a fee for bringing radio equipment into Dominica, which I took as a thinly veiled attempt to extract a bribe. Trying my best to stay calm and polite I told them that I agree to pay after I see a written invoice and get a receit. In my case that was enough to be left alone and get through. This approach certainly will not work in every situation, but sometimes it might do the trick.

73, Denis - K7GK