[CQ-Contest] Single band operation.

John Laney k4bai at worldnet.att.net
Tue Mar 10 13:18:51 PDT 2009

Doug Turnbull wrote:
> I sometimes wish to enter a major contest such as the CQ or ARRL tests
> single band.   The choice might be 160 M while at other times I would pick
> 20 M or 15 M.   Often my choice is such that it is not necessary to operate
> for the whole forty-eight hours which my 65 year body increasingly dislikes.
> It would be nice to be able to dip into 160M when choosing to operate single
> band on 15 M or 10 M or vice versa.   Can this be done and still maintain a
> single band entry?   If so how is it done?   Other than administration
> difficulties I can not see why this should be discouraged.   Thanking you in
> advance for any info.
>

>                                73 Doug EI2CN

As far as I am aware, all the major contests encourage single band
entrants to log everyone they work on another band for logchecking
purposes, but the logchecking software only credits contacts made on the
single band selected in the CATEGORY in the header.

Please submit a complete log for all contacts made on all bands.
Otherwise, the stations you work on the other bands will be penalized
for having made the contact with you.  The logchecking software will
ignore the contacts on the other bands for your score determination, but
will use those QSOs for cross checking the other logs.

Doug, apparently this is the answer you wanted and I believe it is the
course to follow.  73, John, K4BAI.