[CQ-Contest] Russian DX Contest Log Checking

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Tue Mar 10 13:22:46 PDT 2009

On Tue, Mar 10, 2009 at 11:13:13AM -0700, Denis Pochuev - K7GK wrote:

> > Unless you are somehow more likely to attract the flakes on the air
> > than the stations you are competing against, it doesn't put you at a
> > disadvantage.
>
> Not so. An unfortunate (?) side-effect of these rules is that the stations far from the main center of activity for this contest (read Europe) are at a further disadvantage. Whose log will get more "other station busts", WX1XXX's who is loud or KX7XXX's who is lucky to get through at all?

I'm sure Randy is working a lot of very weak signals at his noise level
just like everyone else.  That a station in Massachusetts can work more
layers deep into the opening is a geographic disparity - but I can't see
how the differences in log checking would penalize someone working weak
signals in, say, Arizona, versus someone working weak signals in
Massachusetts.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker at kenharker.com