[CQ-Contest] Russian DX Contest Log Checking

Edward sawyered at earthlink.net
Wed Mar 11 04:12:54 PDT 2009

I have never operated the RDXC and am now certain that I will not do so
seriously after reading this "shocking" information about the scoring
and penalties.  I do know that when I have tuned around and heard the
level of activity, I have always questioned the claims of its
popularity.  It may statistically have the log count, but it sure
doesn't come close to the activity on the band as CQ WW, ARRL DX, WPX,
IARU, WAE, SS, and probably others.  Sorry guys, it just doesn't.

I think that the casual op would be absolutely "shocked" if you told him
that "Did you know that log you are about to send in could actually HURT
the serious contesters if you have any errors in it?".  Do you think
that they are diligently making sure they have everything right?
Hardly, if you need proof, just check the spot that the guy probably
just did after the Q.

In 20 years of contesting, I have never heard anything more insane, than
"I am penalized because a casual, unintending operator, miscopied my
call or exchange".

Yes, penalize the heck out of ME if I copy something down wrong.  But
don't even think about it if it is the other guy that fumbled his pen.
I can't do nor want to do anything about that.

Ed  N1UR