[CQ-Contest] Second Century of Radio

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed May 27 07:12:22 PDT 2009

At 05:26 AM 5/27/2009, Paul O'Kane wrote:
>...Regarding the deeper principles of radio contesting, I am of
>the view that there are but two of them - use amateur-band RF
>throughout the signal path between the operators concerned,
>and don't use other communications systems to arrange,
>facilitate or complete contest QSOs. If our shared interest,
>amateur radio contesting, becomes (or already is) something
>else, then I suggest it needs a new name to reflect the
>changes.

I think your second principle is too restrictive.  I'd suggest
instead that we need to define a "bright line" to separate ham radio
contesting from whatever this CQ100 business is about.  The analogy
that keeps coming to mind is sailboat racing, where any technology is
allowed on board the boat, so long as wind power remains the sole
mode of propulsion.  It's not that you can't have different classes,
or preclude active coaching on wind conditions etc. from the shore,
but that if you cross the line, you're no longer racing a sailboat.

So what's the ham radio contesting equivalent?

773, Pete N4ZR
New Articles Daily - the Contesting Compendium at http://wiki.contesting.com
The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com