[CQ-Contest] Second Century of Radio

Michael Coslo mjc5 at psu.edu
Wed May 27 07:55:13 PDT 2009

On May 27, 2009, at 5:26 AM, Paul O'Kane wrote:

> Regarding the deeper principles of radio contesting, I am of
> the view that there are but two of them - use amateur-band RF
> throughout the signal path between the operators concerned,
> and don't use other communications systems to arrange,
> facilitate or complete contest QSOs. If our shared interest,
> amateur radio contesting, becomes (or already is) something
> else, then I suggest it needs a new name to reflect the
> changes.

Although my personal preference would be to find something else to do
with my time, we could call it telegraphy-sport. Since my major
interest is in  actual radio, I'd find such a thing to be mind
numbingly boring.

I'd also have to say that the internet version of radiosport is
throwing half of the equation out - that of the radio part. Do they
plan on introducing problems, making pretend bad propagation, maybe
having people try to jam us. That would be just too weird, and I can
hear the complaining now about how the winners had suspiciously few
problems.

Interesting would be the automatic machinery that could just sit and
collect QSO's.

More interesting is that with online contesting (another name
possibility) is now you are entering the turf of the Hackers. Might as
well prepare for them shutting things down.

All in all, it sounds like as much fun as a bad rash.

-73 de Mike N3LI -