[CQ-Contest] Ban all contest spotting?

Felipe J Hernandez fhdez at islandnetjm.com
Tue Nov 3 05:19:34 PST 2009

This thing repeats itself every year, If we look at this from the reality side
a solution is simple:

1. Packet is used by lots of people and many enjoy it, gives them immediate gratification
zero wait, a chance to try their station in a pile up etc.. packet is not going away.. we cannot criminalize it!

2. Its been proven that the top single ops without packet have neven been beaten by an
assisted operator. UNLESS of course you think that the top single ops, do use packet
and they are cheaters too.. IN response to that I can attest that I had the opportunity to sit
behind N5TJ on his both record breaking cw/ssb operations from my QTH and that superb score was done
with pure passing mults and lots of two radio operation... so im absolutely certain
that you dont win with packet or at least break records.

Based on this we can safely add packet to the SO class and not worry about it,  if a top operator feels he need it
more power to him, is just another strategy like making qsos before the contest and announcing their operation , the propagation charts, the expensive so2r boxes, the instant qsy amps and so on..

Turn the assisted class into a more skillfull category,
That way the assisted category can grow with more experimentation, remote receivers, skimmer,
self spotting, pre contest advertising , twitter or whatever technology enhances one single operator.
It will become more significant as a class, not like today where operators just send the log and claim
whatever just because there was a slot that would qualify them for an award.

Certainly doing this is simpler than going around DQing people, sending official observers to monitor top operators and  having this discussion everyyear until december when it fades away until the results come out.

73's

Felipe
NP4Z