[CQ-Contest] FCC Petition For Rulemaking

Eric Hilding b38 at hilding.com
Fri Nov 6 06:51:22 PST 2009

Fellow Contesters:

During the past several months I've invested about 100 hours related to
tracking down the Psycho Cybercriminal who has been forging the callsigns of
fellow contesters WX3B, KY1V and others making extremely hateful and obscene
packet cluster system posts.  Be glad you have not been a target yet of what
is really Electronic Identity Theft.

My extensive Cybercrime Complaint has been at the FBI now for about a month,
and I've had numerous discussions with a Special Agent in one of the
Internet Crime offices, as well as countless communications with other
victims in this matter.

Unfortunately, since the packet cluster system is not a private, UserID and
Password subscriber only system, and DX SUMMIT allows postings which can be
made via anonymous proxy servers (which PsychoPoster uses), the FBI now says
there is no basis for a Federal Crime in order for the U.S. Attorney to
build a case for prosecution.   My attempts to have the FBI issue Subpoenas
to the proxy server owners to back-track to an originating IP address in
order to identify the perpetrator are stuck in a bottleneck.  One of my new
tasks has therefore been to seek amendment of the FCC Rules to make forgery
of an FCC Licensee's callsign a Federal Crime.  Yesterday I sent a Petition
For Rulemaking via Express Mail to the FCC in this matter.

One of three things will happen at the FCC.  They will:

1.       Bounce it back in my face; or

2.       Issue a Notice of Proposed Rulemaking; or

3.       Issue a Public Notice seeking Public Comments

If the FCC does take the route of #2 or #3 above, it will be a lengthy
process.  From the myriad of examples contained in "EXHIBIT 1",  if they
don't see a problem requiring amendment of the rules, then we have an ever
bigger problem.

Thinking positively, when an NPRM is released, the FCC allows comments to be
filed online via their website.   As a past victim of multiple Cybercrimes,
my #1 goal in life right now is to see the PsychoPoster Pervert hammering my
friend WX3B and others caught and punished, but this will require support
from the Contesting Community at large  to happen.

My Petition For Rulemaking .pdf can be downloaded at:
http://www.k6vva.com/fccpfr --- WARNING:  Much of the message posting text
contained in the EXHIBIT 1  is really bad.  A courtesy notification about
the PFR has been sent to Dan & Sean at the ARRL.

I would greatly appreciate it if you will contact members of your respective
Contest  Clubs who might be interested in helping support the cause.
Jim/WX3B, David/KY1V, Bernie/W3UR, Jeff/K1ZM (VY2ZM), David/K1TTT (who I've
learned a LOT from about proxy servers, etc.) and I are in constant
communication about this situation, and have some additional plans yet to be
implemented.

TNX very much for any assistance and support.  Unfortunately, until
PsychoPoster can be caught and punished, YOU might be one of his next
victims.

73,

Rick, K6VVA * The Locust