[CQ-Contest] ARRL sections in 1930

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Fri Nov 6 15:33:04 PST 2009

     The first ARRL All-Section Sweepstakes, the contest that today we
know as the ARRL November Sweepstakes, took place in late January, 1930
(it was moved to November in 1932).  I was curious to see what the ARRL
section organization was like in 1930, and Hugh Brower KB1NFI at the
League helped find the right page in the January, 1930 QST to answer
that question.  There were 68 sections in 1930.  Among the highlights:

* There were no Great Lakes or Southwestern Divisions.
* Cuba and the Philippines were included in sections.
* The Yukon Territories and the Northwestern Territories in Canada were
  managed as part of the Vanalta Division, but were not yet included in
  a specific section.  Presumably the Canal Zone was a similar situation,
  as it was not included in a section in 1930.
* New Mexico (NM) was part of the West Gulf Division in 1930, whereas today
  it is in the Rocky Mountain Division.
* In 1930, some sections were so new that the section managers were still
  appointees, pending the first official elections in the section - this
  included the HI, MAR, NLI, NV, TN, SK, and VA sections.
* It's not clear to me how Newfoundland fit into this, if at all - was it
  possibly considered part of the Maritimes section even though it was
  not a part of Canada at the time?
* Canada was managed as five Divisions in 1930 - today the entire country
  is one Division.
* Minnesota was two sections in 1930.
* Puerto Rico (PR) was spelled "Porto Rico" in the 1930s QSTs.
* I was completely unfamiliar with the Isle of Pines prior to today.  You
  can read about it here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isla_de_la_Juventud
* Vanalta sounds funny :-)

January, 1930

ATLANTIC DIVISION
-----------------
Eastern Pennsylvania (EPA)
Maryland-Delaware-District of Columbia (MDDC)
Southern New Jersey (SNJ)
Western New York (WNY)
Western Pennsylvania (WPA)

CENTRAL DIVISION
----------------
Illinois (IL)
Indiana (IN)
Kentucky (KY)
Michigan (MI)
Ohio (OH)
Wisconsin (WI)

DAKOTA DIVISION
---------------
North Dakota (ND)
South Dakota (SD)
Northern Minnesota (NMN)
Southern Minnesota (SMN)

DELTA DIVISION
--------------
Arkansas (AR)
Louisiana (LA)
Mississippi (MS)
Tennessee (TN)

HUDSON DIVISION
---------------
Eastern New York (ENY)
New York City and Long Island (NLI)
Northern New Jersey (NNJ)

MIDWEST DIVISION
----------------
Iowa (IA)
Kansas (KS)
Missouri (MO)
Nebraska (NE)

NEW ENGLAND DIVISION
--------------------
Connecticut (CT)
Maine (ME)
Eastern Massachusetts (EMA)
New Hampshire (NH)
Rhode Island (RI)
Vermont (VT)
Western Massachusetts (WMA)

NORTHWESTERN DIVISION
---------------------
Alaska (AK)
Idaho (ID)
Montana (MT)
Oregon (OR)
Washington (WA)

PACIFIC DIVISION
----------------
East Bay (EB)
Hawaii (HI)
Nevada (NV)
Los Angeles (LAX)
San Francisco (SF)
Sacramento Valley (SV)
Arizona (AZ)
Philippines (KA1)
San Diego (SDG)

ROANOKE DIVISION
----------------
North Carolina (NC)
Virginia (VA)
West Virginia (WV)

ROCKY MOUNTAIN DIVISION
-----------------------
Colorado (CO)
Utah-Wyoming (UWY)

SOUTHEASTERN DIVISION
---------------------
Alabama (AL)
Florida (FL)
Georgia-South Carolina-Cuba-Isle of Pines (GASCCUIOP)
Porto Rico-Virgin Islands (PRVI)

WEST GULF DIVISION
------------------
Northern Texas (NTX)