[CQ-Contest] ARRL sections in 1930

Michael Keane K1MK k1mk at alum.mit.edu
Sat Nov 7 08:29:36 PST 2009

On 11/6/2009 6:33 PM, Kenneth E. Harker wrote:

> * It's not clear to me how Newfoundland fit into this, if at all - was it
>    possibly considered part of the Maritimes section even though it was
>    not a part of Canada at the time?

In 1926, when the ARRL Board created sections as the field organization
of the Communication Department, places that did not operate under
United State or Canadian radio laws were included in the divisions.

That was corrected at the 1930 Board Meeting where Newfoundland,
Labrador, Cuba, the Isle of Pines and the Philippine Islands were
eliminated from the ARRL divisions. But those areas were retained within
the operating area of the Communications Department and attached to, but
not  forming a part, of the divisions.

 From 1930 until ???, the operating territory of the Communications
Department (and hence the sections and hence SS multipliers) extended
beyond the limits of the ARRL divisions

Newfoundland and Labrador were attached to the Maritime Division. As
the Communication Department only had one section under the Maritime
Division stations in Newfoundland and Labrador  were counted as part of
the Maritime section.

In the case of Cuba and the Isle of Pines, they were attached to the
Southeast (nee East Gulf) Division. As the Communications Department had
partitioned the Southeast Division into more than one section, an
agreement by the Southeast Division Director and Communications
Department Manager had stations in Cuba and the Isle Pine report their
activity to the GA-SC SCM. And thus in Sweepstakes Cuba and the Isle of
Pines were counted as the "GA-SC-Cuba-Isle of Pines" section.

> * Canada was managed as five Divisions in 1930 - today the entire country
>    is one Division.

Ah, no. There is no Canadian Division today. That division went away in
1988.

73,
Mike K1MK