[CQ-Contest] CK, PR, SEC = same as cut numbers

Zack Widup w9sz.zack at gmail.com
Wed Nov 11 06:04:20 PST 2009

I heard one station sending to another one (in CW) something like "I NEED
THE LAST TWO DIGITS OF THE YEAR YOU FIRST GOT YOUR HAM LICENSE" at about 15
wpm, fairly high up in the 40m band. Now, THAT is patience!
I guess to those of us who have been at this for decades, sending CK? or PR?
is old hat. I guess the whole set of abbreviations used in CW is just
something a newcomer has to learn.
How would a newcomer ever figure out that "ES" means "AND"?

73, Zack W9SZ