[CQ-Contest] Preliminary 2010 CQ WPX SSB/CW Contest Rules

David Pruett k8cc at comcast.net
Tue Nov 17 16:50:25 PST 2009

It's my opinion that the hue and cry over this change is much ado about
nothing.

My experience from every WPX contest I've been in for the past decade is
that chasing prefix mults is unnecessary.  The world is so full of
different prefixes that the mults comes from rate.  It's my belief that
most of the mults you find with the 2nd rig you work later thru
running.  Furthermore, the fact that prefixes are counted once overall
(versus by band) lessens the opportunity to utilize the second rig even
more.

 From 2006-2008 we did WPX Phone from KP2TM as a multi-single.  Each
year we set up two radios with bandpass filters and the capability to
work a second band.  WE'VE NEVER BOTHERED RUNNING THE SECOND RADIO, even
though we had internet packet spots thru a high speed connection.  All
three years we managed to finish in the world wide top ten.  And this
from a two-point country.

I'll admit that there might be places in the world where chasing prefix
mults with a second transmitter might matter.  However, I've been part
of competitive multi-singles from Michigan and it's not any different.

Now CQWW would be another situation entirely.  With fewer overall mults,
and counting new mults on each band, the 2nd radio is a significant benefit.

Everybody has their own opinion.  This is just one...

73, Dave/K8CC