[CQ-Contest] the "new" M/S for WPX

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Tue Nov 17 18:44:56 PST 2009

On Tue, Nov 17, 2009 at 06:14:27PM -0800, W7VJ wrote:

> One of the comments made was along the lines of "if it ain't broke, don't
> fix it."  Randy justifies the basis for the change as "The new rules will
> establish a true single-transmitter category that is limited to 8 band
> changes per hour."  I cannot help wonder why is this necessary?  What
> conditions have suggested the need for a change.  Perhaps if CQ can explain
> why the change is needed, I might be more inclined to support it.

Randy recently discussed this in depth in the CQ WPX blog:

http://www.cqwpx.com/blog/?p=46

"The WPX Committee is carefully considering a change to the Multi-Single
category rules for 2010. We believe that the addition of the Multi-Two
category several years ago has created an imbalance.  There are essentially
three multi-transmitter categories! There is currently no place for a
station with only one radio to compete.  Almost any top level Multi-Single
station can easily step up to the Multi-Two category. This gives us the
opportunity to make an adjustment in the rules to create more opportunity
for more stations."

You can also search the archives of CQ-Contest and find a lot of
collective sould searching about the M/S category in WPX through the
years.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker at kenharker.com