[CQ-Contest] Preliminary 2010 CQ WPX SSB/CW Contest Rules

Kenneth E. Harker kenharker at kenharker.com
Thu Nov 19 13:23:27 PST 2009

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 10:35:28AM +0000, Steve wrote:

> KEH> I really don't understand the desire for a separate multiplier
> KEH> station in WPX
>
> If WPX is a "run-run-run" contest as it's been described here lately
> how do you log all those mults out there?

I've mostly heard the contest described as a "rate contest" rather than a
"run contest".  If there's some point in time where your rate doing S&P
will be higher than your rate calling CQ, then it is better to be doing
S&P.  For example, if the best two bands open are 20 and 40, and you get
double points on 40, you might be able to put more QSOs in the log for a
while by doing S&P on 40 working loud DX stations than you could by calling
CQ on either band.  During those periods of time, you would definitely
be better off doing S&P.  However, if calling CQ puts more entries in the
log, that's always the better strategy because...

...there are effectively an unlimited number of multipliers in WPX.  Unlike
CQWW or ARRL DX, which have a finite number of available multipliers, the
number of different prefixes on the air is so vast you can treat it as
effectively unlimited.  The number of multipliers in your log will be
largely a function of the number of QSOs in the log, so the faster you can
add QSOs to the log, the faster the multipliers come in.

> If I am running 99 percent of the time and you, that elusive WM5 new
> mult, are also running 99 percent of the time how can I work you?

Does it matter?  The WM5 multiplier is worth exactly the same to your score as
the W5, KA1, etc. multipliers.  The JS3 multiplier is worth as much as JT1 or
XU2.

> If I hear you on my second radio on a slow sunday afternoon am I going
> to spend 2 band changes just to work you? Unlikely.

With the proposed M/S rules, using two band changes to get a single multiplier
is probably not a good idea in most situations.

> The result? One less qso and multiplier for me, one less qso (and
> possibly one less multiplier for you) and *LESS FUN* for both.

So, why not make everyone M/M?  Even the M/2 stations are potentially
forsaking QSOs due to strategic decisions regarding the limits of their
category.  The need to make strategic decisions can actual improve the
appeal of a contest.

--
Kenneth E. Harker WM5R
kenharker at kenharker.com