[CQ-Contest] Rapid CQ's - was Need advice re amps/setups for contesting

David Gilbert xdavid at cis-broadband.com
Thu Oct 29 09:36:05 PDT 2009

I agree that it is frustrating, but I can think of at least two reasons
why that kind of thing more or less legitimately happens:

1.  The guy you are calling has lots of QRM on his end.  Even if he
can't hear callers for a while it can be important for him to keep a
consistent pace so that callers know when to call him.  Some of the very
worst pileup management I have ever seen is by DX stations who don't
maintain a reasonably quick and very consistent pace.  People call
almost randomly and nobody in the pileup knows when to call or when to
shut up.

2.  A station trying to run in a major contest often risks losing his
frequency if he stops very long to listen for a weak reply.  I ALWAYS
try to dig out the weak ones, but I cringe every time I have to listen
much longer than normal to do so.  Almost invariably some lid looking
for an open frequency will just plop down on top of me and start calling
CQ if I'm not constantly staking my claim to it.  Sad, but true, and it
can take a lot of time to recover control of the frequency ... during
which I'm mostly not making QSO's.

I agree that it is frustrating to have a strong station keep calling CQ
in your face, but I've learned to understand how it can happen and I
typically just store his callsign in the bandmap and check back later.
During S&P excursions on 20m and 15m this past weekend, I twice had it
happen where a station in Europe kept calling CQ only to tell me I was
the strongest signal he'd heard when I finally worked him.  He didn't
suddenly get louder so it wasn't propagation that changed all of a
sudden, but something on his end did.

73,
Dave   AB7E