[CQ-Contest] FW: Mystery HAL FYO-type Iambic Paddle

Jeff Maass jmaass at k8nd.com
Tue Sep 15 13:51:37 PDT 2009

I'm about to sell off four of my iambic paddles: two HAL FYO, one Hamco Trinidad, and one
mystery FYO-type paddle that someone here might help to identify. No one tries more CW
paddles than contesters!

I have two HAL FYO paddles (one with buttons which I bought new (even have the manual for
that one!), and another without buttons), and a "mystery FYO-type", which has a matching
base, paddles, and fixtures to the HAL paddles, but a difference in the pivot section
making it "fly-apart proof". It has the same "fit-and-finish" and feel as the HAL FYO
paddles.

I've heard about the Teletek FYO-type iambic paddle produced about the same time as the
HAL FYO, but have been unable to find a photo of it. Teletek apparently sold their design
to Bencher, to become the BY-1 series. I'm wondering if this is one of those Teletek
paddles. There are no markings on the paddle.

Photos (HAL FYO for comparison) are at:

HAL FYO:     http://www.k8nd.com/HAL_FYO_Num1_5923.jpg

Mystery FYO: http://www.k8nd.com/Mystery_FYO_5897.jpg
             http://www.k8nd.com/Mystery_FYO_5904.jpg
             http://www.k8nd.com/Mystery_FYO_5905.jpg

Note the extra ring at the front of the "Mystery FYO" paddle, which prevents the launching
of the paddles and the spring.

Any ideas what it is?

Off-list replies, please.

73,   Jeff  K8ND