[CQ-Contest] Some days - MIQP

Ryan Jairam rjairam at gmail.com
Sat Apr 17 16:02:09 PDT 2010

Hey Charlie,

Before ARRL DX SSB I spent hours chasing my tail in circles getting my
RigExpert Standard to communicate with my new Windows 7 PC. I did
everything short of reinstalling Windows.

Then finally I decided to RTFM on the RigExpert site.  Well as it
turns out the RigExpert Standard needed a firmware update for the Win
7 drivers to work.  The catch was that you had to install the fw
update from an XP machine... of which I had precisely ONE PC remaining
(an IBM thinkpad, our other PCs are updated to Windows 7) which has a
barely functioning USB port and is unstable due to a cold soldered
South Bridge chip...

D'oh!

So nervously I reflowed the SB chip using a heat gun, booted up and
updated the firmware, put the new drivers on Win 7 and everything ran
very smoothly.

Three cheers for reading the manual!

73
Ryan, N2RJ