[CQ-Contest] Budgeting and planning for a young contest station

Pete Smith n4zr at contesting.com
Wed Apr 21 07:00:29 PDT 2010

OK, I'll take the bait.

You're totally right to go with the tower improvements first.  Beyond
that, I don't see any of those projects as really high priority.  Some
of the premier SO2R contesters on the east coast do it entirely with
manual radio and antenna switching.  From the West Coast, with a focus
on domestic contesting, automated rotator control will mostly be turning
your antennas from 45 degrees to 135 degrees - not worth the 500 bux.  I
would not go SO2R unless you really want to explore it technically,
because there's an awful lot to be learned by being a single op first.
The C-31XR upgrade would be nice, but unless you're going SO2R I
wouldn't consider a high priority.  As for the auto-tune amp(s), to me
that is a waste of time - your SB-220 and SB-221 are excellent
candidates for the 5 cent fix - tape an index card to the panel behind
the load and tune knobs, mark your settings, and you'll be good to go.
They are not very fussy at all about being right on the button.

What I suggest instead are the following:

Model your terrain using HFTA -  and take a look at this webinar -
http://www.casadelcrappo.com/pvrc/2009-08-05%2020.01%20Contest%20Antennas%20_%20DX%20or%20Domestic_%20What_s%20Your%20Pleasure%20_%20Dean%20Straw%20N6BV.wmv
Those mountains may not be such a big deal.  Decide what angles you need
to cover for your goals and look at how your planned antenna heights fit
the need.

Be careful about potential interaction on that mast.  You will have an
awful lot of resonant metal in fairly close proximity, even with 20 feet
of mast to play with, rather than 6.  For contesting, I'd be tempted to
leave the A3WS out of the picture for now - you can probably use your
other antennas with tuner.

Try low dipoles or inverted vees for 40 and 80 meters as alternatives to
your primary antennas, to give you better results in the nearby areas of
highly concentrated population where higher angles are needed.  Even if
they only pay off for a few afternoon hours in SS on Sunday, they'll be
worth the snall effort.

73, Pete N4ZR

The World Contest Station Database, updated daily at www.conteststations.com
The Reverse Beacon Network at http://reversebeacon.net, blog at reversebeacon.blogspot.com