[CQ-Contest] Best callsign letters

Tom Haavisto kamham69 at gmail.com
Wed Apr 21 21:32:44 PDT 2010

Hi John

Just my two cents worth:

Don't use Juliet - use Japan.
I would use Germany instead of Golf.  Longer (more syllables, but less
confusion)

If I was able to choose "the perfect" call, I would stay away from
double letters.  That way, if you "double up" on letters, there is
less confusion.  Ie - you want you say "Alpha, Alpha, Alpha, Alpha"
Is that two Alphas, or are you trying to say the same (single) letter
many times under marginal conditions?

I would stay away from the same letter as the first and last letter of
your call.  VE3MHV had a heck of a time with his call - lots of his
QSL's went to VE3HM.

S and H are not great in a CW call (my first call was VE3HHS) - NOT
fun on phone/CW.

Last, but not least - if you want ME to pick YOUR call out of a
pileup?  Keep your call in MY headphones and in my brain.  After a
while, you start to remember calls that you have worked many times
before.  Then - in a contest/under marginal conditions, that familiar
call just pops into your head as you have worked the same guy a
hundred times before :-)

FWIW

Tom - VE3CX