[CQ-Contest] unscrupulous and frustrating

Ward Silver hwardsil at gmail.com
Wed Dec 1 07:32:56 PST 2010

>> Bill, W4ZV said:
>> [snip]
>> An unscrupulous person (not me!) might discourage this by
>> intentionally spotting non-IDer's calls incorrectly by a dit or
>> two.  Such as BY5A instead of 6Y5A, or ER8A instead of EF8A, etc.  :-)
>> [end snip]
>>

> Maybe...but a person who wanted to get the point across might mis-spot them by one
> dit or dah, WHILE STILL PLACING THEM IN THE CORRECT ZONE (unlike your examples).
>
> Then BOTH parties might better get the message...make the runner ID and make the
> caller actually listen for the call.  Otherwise, too easy to copy the mismatched zone, assuming
> they actually listen at all.
>
> de Doug KR2Q

A simple response is to only spot prefixes.  It would be an interesting feature for logging software to offer a "Spot Prefixes Only" option.

> http://www.qsl.net/ct1boh/callid.htm
> This is a very good article on the subject, written by Jose Nunes on his webpage "Contest CT1BOH"
>
> David
> HK1A

Yes, it is - from the DX's perspective.  What is neglected is the analysis of how many "channel-seconds" are required to be contributed by the pileup inhabitants in order for the DX to save a certain number of channel-seconds by not sending a call sign.  Clearly, the cost in channel-seconds to the other participants is far higher than any savings accrued by the DX station.

73, Ward N0AX