[CQ-Contest] Wasting time??????

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Sat Dec 4 10:17:03 PST 2010

A couple of small additions to this beaten to near death topic:

1.  If some little pistol is wasting your time by saying "please  copy",
he's probably saying the same thing to anyone else he works.  So he  wastes as
much of their time as he does yours, hence a wash. Relax!

2.  Opportunity costs.  You may be running a great rate to EU on  20M at
1400z, but if you're missing the 15 meter opening, you are losing. 20  will be
there later, 15 won't. You have to have some judgement on what will  wait,
and what won't.

3.  Opportunity costs part 2: unless you're trying to make a show on  the
real time scoreboard, don't sweat the really common multipliers early on.
Last weekend I  was surprised to have several big east coast single ops  call
in early on 20 meters, presumably for a zone 4 mult. Can't imagine why they
were worried about that one in the first hours of the first day.

73  -  Jim    K8MR        (Running last weekend from  K8AZ)

In a message dated 12/4/2010 12:54:31 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,