[CQ-Contest] Contesting and the Twilight Zone

Ed G ed.goss at comcast.net
Sat Dec 4 13:22:31 PST 2010

Regarding all the different levels of operating skills, varying techniques,
lack of id, use of "please copy," calls too long (poor WB8QQQ!) etc etc.I am
reminded of an old Twilight Zone episode I saw. The subject had died, and
thought he went to Heaven.  Everything went right for him.  He won every
game in Las Vegas, he got all the girls, everything he did worked out.all
the time, every day.  He finally got so tired of it, he asked his angel if
he could "go to the other place."  The angel laughed and said "this is the
other place."

I try to appreciate all the differences I notice in each and every station I
work during a contest weekend.  Can you imagine being locked in to your
chair for 24 or 48 hours having to work a 120 QSO/hour rate, with no breaks,
hearing no variation in calling technique, no differences in CW speed or
weight, afraid to take a break and lose the frequency, and the calls keep
coming.everyone has the same computer-generated sound.no letup.

Please copy:  A good contester adjusts to all this stuff on the fly! I think
we have things pretty good right now ;)

--Ed-