[CQ-Contest] a little more fairness?

Prasad VU2PTT vu2ptt at gmail.com
Wed Dec 8 23:33:22 PST 2010

Mats, well said.

This is the reason why I come out to play at least the CQWW each year since
1987 - to have fun and compete with myself. In CQWW CW this year, I had last
year's certificate in front of me and I nearly doubled my score even though
I had to attend a wedding for 6 hours and spent 39 hours in the chair. That
is good for me :)

But, at a time when I am wrestling with the challenge of getting more hams
into contesting, these are the kinds of questions that pop up and which I
get by virtue of being the Contest Manager for the Indian national body -
the ARSI. Why a 2 point score for one continent, not for any of the others?
This does not mean these guys are threatening to break into the Top
10 straight away, nor will the number of VU2 hams coming out each year make
an impact on the final score of most entrants. Its just that they don't
understand the logic of it all and therefore tend to ask why - I could have
made a better score if i had a similar consideration. After all, like some
one else said, this is the World Wide contest...

Any way I will be back next year to have FUN but how many more can I bring
along to the party? I would like that to be many more than what we have now.
After concerted effort from several of our senior hams there a a few more VU
calls to work in contests nearly every weekend on most modes. We have some
promising youngsters and we will strive to find a way. :)

Thanks for all several private emails I received on this subject.  VA.

73 de Prasad VU2PTT