[CQ-Contest] a little more fairness?

Vladimir Sidorov vs_otw at rogers.com
Thu Dec 9 12:15:17 PST 2010

Sorry, just could not resist not to interfere and share my own experience.

Having operated from Europe and N. America, I was truly amazed how the
propagation looks like in the Zone 24, particularily I mean Shanghai, China,
located at a close proximity to the zones 22, 26, 27 28 discussed here. I
did not operate from there because it took some time to get the Chinese
foreign operator's license. Finally I got the ticket but my stay in China
turn to be over then. Anyway, I had a small receiver with the "SSB facility"
so that I could SWL a bit.

I watched CQ WW SSB and 2009, as well as some other contests and just
non-contest activity.
My observations were amazing.
- While there is not a beep on 15m at my QTH in Canada, both 15 and 10 m are
widely open.
- 40-20-15 m are perfectly open to Europe, the Far East and West Coast NA
for several hours. 40 m is open virtually 24/7. 10 m was fine for the Far
East/Japan, Pacific and West Coast.
- Pacific stations are there with almost equal signals on any bands, 10 to
80 m. A KH2 was a perfect example (59+++ 10 through 80 m) in the CQ WW.
- ZM4A (I think, that was the call) was there like a beacon everywhere 40 m
and up being the strongest on most of bands, though not as strong on 80.
- I could watch a XX9 station running JA's on 10 m for hours and days
non-stop. It even made me curious whether the commonly-accepted idea that
the JA guys disappear by end of contests because they have to go to work is
just a myth.

Sorry, gents, but I am completely sure that even a modest station in the
area can easily provide a blilliant result without any change is the
existing points' system.

73,
Vladimir VE3IAE

---