[CQ-Contest] a little more fairness?

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Thu Dec 9 18:36:32 PST 2010

Propagation is indeed interesting from that part of the world (actually it
is interesting from low latitude locations anywhere in the world), but
interesting propagation won't win contests on its own. Being seven time zones
from the two major activity centers is a big hurdle.

The 1/2/3 point structure in CQWW leaves a lot to be desired. One point
qsos make sense in EU where lots of close activity, for both QSOs and
available  mutlipliers, balances out the one pointness. For the rest of the world
that is  not the case. Two point qsos within continents, excepting Europe,
would indeed  make sense.

But better yet, consider that with computer scoring, there is no real need
for integer values for qso points. Why not 1.3 or 2.9 point qsos?  I'd
suggest that point values based on zone to zone distances of between one point
(same zone) and three points (the antipodes) would go a long way to giving
places like zones 22, 25, or 28 a reasonable chance, at least at good times
 of the solar cycle.  It would also get rid of the ridiculous advantages of
 places like northern Africa and northern South America.

Such scoring would not have to replace the present "Classic" version of
CQWW scoring. A parallel "Contest Within a Contest" would work great for this
system.

Such changes will never come from the CQ Committee, but if checked  logs
could be made available to a suitable outside group, such a distance
equalized scoring system could give the recognition deserved by ops in the far
reaches of the globe.

73  -  Jim  K8MR

In a message dated 12/9/2010 4:11:17 P.M. Eastern Standard Time,