[CQ-Contest] NAQP CW + Skimmer

Dave Mueller daven2nl at gmail.com
Wed Dec 22 23:15:11 PST 2010

     I normally bite my tongue when these discussions come up, however
I'm quite surprised and even more disappointed at the apparent rule
change in the NAQP that allows local CW Skimmer usage by single
operators.  I am curious how this rule change came about - was there any
previous discussion?  Does NCJ even have a contest committee?

    Granted, I may not currently have a dog in this fight since I am
currently stationed overseas, however the NAQP has always been a
favorite contest of mine, and I was fortunate to have had a measure of
success over the past decade of participating in the CW event.  I most
certainly was planning on participating competitively again upon
reassignment stateside.  With some prior knowledge of the NAQP, the way
I see it, there are three basic requirements for a top finish in this event:

(1) A favorable geographical location with good propagation (I.E West
Coast in January; W9 and W4 in August).
(2) A relatively good station, preferably SO2R capable.
(3) The skill set required to effectively S&P and operate SO2R while
maintaining rate, with an understanding of propagation.  Perennial top
ops such as W9RE, N2IC, KL9A, and N6MJ usually rack up anywhere from
200-400 QSOs through effective SO2R technique, which separates them from
the rest.  This is a true showing of skill and operator prowess.

     By adding a local skimmer, much of (3) is negated.  In a minute or
two, the CW Skimmer user can see *every station CQing on every band*.
Every band opening.  Every multiplier is shown.  Sure - Skimmer picks up
a lot of garbage, but it is easy to know that W0BH is in Kansas and my
skimmer sees him on 10m where I need the state for a mult.  It does not
matter how good W9RE or N2IC is at skill set (3) above, because the
computerized 2nd op of the CW Skimmer user will find it first in almost
every instance.

     As a result, this rule change has serious implications which puts
it separate from other contesting advances the Skimmer proponent uses as
a defense.  CW memory keyers and computer logging does not find QSOs for
you.  CW Skimmer does.  With the elimination of (3) above, is there
really any point in competing anyway?  Sure - there  are still some
skills required, such as timing with SO2R, but the unscrupulous op only
needs to blast away without an interlock.

      Again, I am disappointed that this change came about without even
consulting with the perennial top finishers who have operated this
contest for years.  In my opinion, the change should have been the
addition of an "unlimited" category, which allows single operators to
use packet, a local skimmer, or the Reverse Beacon Network.  There are
no certificates issued for this contest, so I don't believe a new
category would cause much heartache for the sponsors.  I still fail to
understand the psyche that seemingly portrays "Assisted" category
participants in a negative light.  This psyche leads people to either
lie that they were unassisted, or try to force feed these game changing
rules into the "One man and his radio" historical Single Operator Category.

73, Dave KH2/N2NL