[CQ-Contest] NAQP Skimmer

Dale Putnam daleputnam at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 24 07:55:12 PST 2010

I believe that I have pretty much wrapped around the changes... up to the point of somewhat understanding just exactly what it is that folks will be doing... and how it will change the playing field.
1. It will make it much more difficult to evalulate exactly how my station compares to others.
2. The fun level, which for me is a direct measurement of skill level of the op, is diluted.
3. Operator to operator touch is lost almost entirely.

Pretty much, the list goes on.. and at this point in time, it isn't a pretty thing.
I'm confused as to the implementation, in that we all.. embrace new technology, that's a given.
We all enjoy competition, that's a given.
We have a very different valuation on the anticipated effect of new technology, especially when the implementaion
is done is such a way as to not allow it to "edge" in. When new technology is implemented, or allowed to be utilized,
the side by side comparisons need to be kept clean. Stations choosing to utilize new technology cannot compete on the
same field as those that choose not to use it. If the two compete without seperation the color of the competition changes, not an inviting situation. However, if the two different stations can compete and be allowed to be kept seperate, it becomes a brand new
competitive and actually more productive. It actually allows a critical evaluation of the technology, in an environment that
is repeatable and logical.

 So... what am I suggesting?

Allow skimmer... allow all the different technologies, allow the operator to choose ... so far no diff from what we do now.
One change... when reporting... make it known, in this case, that skimmer was used...
mix up the scores? maybe... maybe not, keep them seperate? maybe, make a new class... that is possible, and somewhat alluring
New technology is exciting.. challanging... and fun... but the evaluation of it needs to be done in an environment
that can reveal the results in a manner that lets us then choose, accurately, the direction in which to improve that
 technology or not.

Merry Christmas, and Happy New Year,

--... ...-- Dale - WC7S in Wy