[CQ-Contest] NAQP - Public Skimmers in Multi-Two?

Dave Hachadorian k6ll at arrl.net
Sat Dec 25 08:42:54 PST 2010

Skimmers are not allowed in NAQP Single-op.  That is now "settled
law."

Skimmers are not addressed in the rules for Multi-two, but
allowance for their use can be inferred from lack of a ban.

Other ARRL Contests allow remote public skimmers in assisted and
multiop classes.  I think it would be fun to operate an NAQP in
this manner.  Ten minutes before the contest, you connect to your
favorite public skimmer, or even the RBN or VE7CC.  The N1MM
bandmap immediately starts filling up with red-colored
callsigns - all mults!  At 1800Z you start hitting CTRL-Downarrow
and start knocking them off one by one.  Some callsigns turn
blue, because they are no longer mults, some turn gray or
disappear because you have already worked them.  Every ten
minutes you change bands and knock off a bunch more mults and
Q's.

The advantage of allowing a remote public skimmer is that each
individual contestant is not required to spend over a thousand
dollars for hardware and software to build his own skimmer.

I know it's not conventional contesting, but it's FUN, and COOL!

So, are remote public skimmers allowed in NAQP multi-two?

Dave Hachadorian, K6LL
Yuma, AZ