[CQ-Contest] Rookie Contest

Ward Silver hwardsil at gmail.com
Sat Feb 13 16:07:53 PST 2010

> Someone correct me if I am wrong, but I have read where this is an attempt
> to keep unscrupulous contesters from spending a lot of time manipulating
> their logs (which is understandable).

Nope - no nefarious or ulterior motives.  Just an opportunity to create a
new contest for our newest contesters in a way that is more aligned with
their backgrounds while at the same time trying out new technology without
having a lot of competing infrastructure in an established contest.

> The other argument I have heard is that the logs ever so slowly dribble in
> leaving the contest log coordinators waiting an unusually unnecessary time
> until the last log comes in.

It's funny - talking to the log handlers, most of the logs come in right
away within a few days, then there is a pause, and then right at the
deadline come the procrastinators.  Those last logs would come in at the
deadline if it was an hour, a day, a week, or a month.  The new submission
deadlines for Sprint and NAQP and Sweepstakes have been very successful.

But the real-time angle doesn't have anything to do with speed of log
submission, specifically - it's all about scoring in real-time.

73, Ward N0AX