[CQ-Contest] The King (Packet cluster network) is dead! Long live the Kin...

Jimk8mr at aol.com Jimk8mr at aol.com
Tue Jul 27 17:29:45 PDT 2010

Jose,

Thanks for the FB data search and the interesting opinions.

I would like to elaborate on one of your listed reasons,  and to add
another, for the big increase in qsos over the years.

First, computer logging and CW sending (and its predecessor of memory keyer
 CW sending) has allowed useful CW speeds to nearly double. I recall a
recording  made, I believe by K3ZO, of US signals into Thailand during a DX
contest back in  the late 60s. More interesting that the signal strength was how
slow they  were sending!

This is not just because people back then did not know CW. It was  because
it's hard to write by hand at much over 25 wpm. Especially if  you want to
read it later. And even if you did send 35 wpm, you'd  likely end up waiting
as long as the time you saved, waiting for the other  guy to stop writing
and start sending.

This effect really hit me a few weeks ago in the NS Ladder Sprint. This is
a 30 minute CW contest where the average speed is up around 40 wpm. I got
on  late, didn't have the time or energy to set up the computer, so just
started  sending and logging by hand. Sending at that speed requires some pretty
good  fine motor control in your fingers; trying to copy by pencil (keeping
up with  what was sent as it was sent) was impossible.

Second explanation: Vast improvement in station hardware, in particular
antennas.  Back around 1970 a single set of 4 element monobanders up 30
meters, with a rotator to turn it to wherever,  was a superstation. 40  meter
beams were rare, and even more rare to be more than 2 elements.  Fast  forward
to the typical big station today, and those sort of antennas  are third tier
antennas, probably the ones fixed on the Caribbean  (from the USA).

Add those extra 5-10 db of today's big stacks, and the way those  stacks
will lengthen an opening, and I think you have a good explanation of the
score growth over time.

Extra bonus explanation: 160 meters.  Not a huge factor, but back in  the
70's few modern rigs had 160, and the frequency allocations  were tiny,
limited slivers. Much more happens there  today!

Here in the USA we have an expression, "You can lead a horse to water, but
you can't make him drink". I think this describes the increase in spotting
information available today. A rare DX station will benefit, but I doubt
that many Europeans will get excited to know that another K8 is available  on
20 meters.

73   -  Jim  K8MR

In a message dated 7/27/2010 7:11:53 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,