[CQ-Contest] Use of CW decoders in contests - a contrarian opinion

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Tue Jun 1 06:50:18 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Kelly Taylor" <theroadtrip at mts.net>

> I'd like to see an example of where or how one of us
> will be harmed by a QSO with an operator using a decoder.

No one said that.  VR2BG said "The competition is based on
operating: finding, working & logging stations.  None of
that is possible if the operator doesn't know the code".

Yes, QSOs of some sort may take place, but they're not
2-way CW QSOs when one or other of the operators doesn't
know CW.  In the same way, you can't have a 2-way
conversation in Spanish if one of the people concerned
doesn't know Spanish.  And before the mailing-list police
pounce, that's just my opinion :-)

> Is it "I had to learn the code, dammit, so everybody
> else must too"?

Those are your words only.

No one has to learn the code if they don't want to. But
it is a prerequisite to having 2-way CW QSOs.  Without
learning the code, they are at best data/CW crossmode
QSOs (IMHO, of course).

> We've already heard from at least one op who has said
> if it weren't for a decoder, he'd never turn his radio
> on during a CW contest.

Decoders are not all bad.

> I'd suggest if there's one element that could hasten the
> demise of ham radio, it's angst about clinging to tradition
> "because that's always the way it's been." And not just
> angst about clinging to tradition, but angst about making
> damn sure everyone else does, too.

Yes, clinging to tradition is an outmoded concept.  That's
why fly-fishermen use nets, and sailboat racers use outboard
motors, and ski-jumpers wear Batman suits.

Let's be specific, and see if a direct question will get a
direct answer.  Do you consider CW to be just another data
mode?  If not, what is it?

73,
Paul EI5DI