[CQ-Contest] IARU log checking report

George Fremin III geoiii at kkn.net
Sat Jun 5 07:00:24 PDT 2010

On Fri, Jun 04, 2010 at 04:10:57PM -0000, Radio K0HB wrote:
> I have always labored under the impression that contesting is a competition
> in which radiomen demonstrate skill at copying the exchange "as sent" and
> are rewarded on the accuracy of the information that they copy.

I do not agree with this entirely.  While in general it is a good idea to
copy what is sent to you I will contend that you should be smart about it.

If you are in the CQ WW contest and you work XE1KK and he sends "59 Mexico" would
you put that in your log?

> If a station sends the wrong zone (and his log or many other logs shows that
> he consistently does that) you should be rewarded by correctly logging what
> he sent, not what he should have sent.

If (based on evidence from other logs submitted) it can be shown
that a station consistently does not seem to be sending the correct
information I agree that no one should be counted off for those errors.

> The notion that the scoring robot "knows better" is an insult to you.

You can't have it both ways.

You can not say on one hand you should get credit for copying what is sent and and
then say that if the log checking process can show a station to be sending bad data
you should not get penalized for those errors.

--
George Fremin III - K5TR
geoiii at kkn.net
http://www.kkn.net/~k5tr