[CQ-Contest] NOT IN LOG

Albert Crespo f5vhj at orange.fr
Sat Jun 12 07:45:33 PDT 2010

In 2008 as 6W1RY  in CQWW Phone  I was penalized and lost a multiple =
because I was not in the log of the infamous D4C operation that was =
later disqualified.
They got disqualified, but I  was penalized when they were doing their =
infamous 10 minute rule violation escapades.
Last year in the same contest as 6W1RY , while I was  running stations =
on 10  meters at 1510 UTC  on 24/10/09, I logged CN3A. My  UBN  report  =
states  I am "not in the log" of  CN3A.
I did not understand as a single operator using only one radio and  =
running  stations how I could  log CN3A, and yet not be in their  log.=20
Because of the CQWW policy of public logs,  I decided to look at the log =
of CN3A.
Around the time of my QSO, CN3A did not appear to be in violation of any =
10 minute rule by the multiplier  station.
 I checked the log of 6V7Q and found a QSO with CN3A , on 24/10/09 at =
1436 UTC on 10 meters ,  36 minutes before my QSO at 1510 UTC.
 A review of the  CN3A logs also reflects this QSO by the multiplier  =
station at 1436 UTC.
My  QSO at 1510 UTC was no longer a new multiplier for CN3A.=20
It is my understanding that if a previous  multiplier is logged by the =
multiplier station , zero points are earned. There is no  penalty.
However, in my case , CN3A  decided to delete my QSO.=20
I  was penalized. I lost not only the QSO, but the multiplier.=20
If they had not called me, with their big signal, I probably would have =
worked them on 10 meters, but because they were already in my log, I did =
not do so.
I contacted Stefano, IK2QEI, who is in charge of CN3A, and he of course =
cannot find my 10 meter  QSO.
I would encourage others to review their UBN reports  with the logs of =
other stations and examine just how certain QSOs  became NL. Busted =
calls happen, but if you are running stations and you get a NL penalty, =
that should cause concern.
I am not thrilled that two years in a row I get a NL penalty for a QSO I =
am sure I made.
Because CN3A perhaps wanted not to have zero points in their log, I got =
penalized.
This also happens in CQWW  when USA stations call  other USA stations to =
get a needed zone,  and the called station does not bother to log it =
because it does not get a point. The calling station may not just get a =
NL, but may also lose a zone multiplier.
People should realize that deleting valid QSOs have a consequence.