[CQ-Contest] Field Day and contesting...

jpescatore at aol.com jpescatore at aol.com
Tue Jun 29 03:06:23 PDT 2010

A couple of points, some already pointed out:

1. When you call CQ, other Class D stations don't know you are class D until after they call you.
2. A lot of folks sending class D just heard the activity and start answering CQs - they never read the rules, never will.
3. I've done FD probably 25 times and I don't understand all the rules. It took ten years for me to realize that
    I shouldn't enter class B just because I was using a push-pull final stage...
4. Points? Points? This is FD - we don't need no steenkin' points!

I think a new FD rule is needed: no station in VA should be allowed to enter class 4A, as many casual CW ops seemed
to have a lot of trouble sending 4A VA. There was another one - 6B NH or something - that was funny, too.

The wide use of 1x1 calls hurt my rate a bit - I had many copy my station as K3C - without all those 1x1s, most would
have realized it was a busted call.

Nice FD coverage in the Washington Post at http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2010/06/27/AR2010062703214.html

73 John K3TN