[CQ-Contest] Field Day and contesting...

Zack Widup w9sz.zack at gmail.com
Tue Jun 29 06:42:05 PDT 2010

On Tue, Jun 29, 2010 at 5:06 AM, <jpescatore at aol.com> wrote:

> A couple of points, some already pointed out:
>

> 1. When you call CQ, other Class D stations don't know you are class D
> until after they call you.
> 2. A lot of folks sending class D just heard the activity and start
> answering CQs - they never read the rules, never will.

I often wondered if class D stations shouldn't call CQ. It seems
counter-productive if you get a lot of class D stations calling. If you just
want to run stations, whether they count for the activity or not, then I
guess you just have fun with it.

> 4. Points? Points? This is FD - we don't need no steenkin' points!
>

> FD is a unique contest in that you get a lot of extra points for other
activities. I always copy the ARRL CW Field Day bulletin, which nets us an
extra 100 points. Having a county or state official visit your site gets you
extra points too, as does writing out a little message in NTS
radiogram format and sending it to your section manager via the NTS.

> I think a new FD rule is needed: no station in VA should be allowed to
> enter class 4A, as many casual CW ops seemed

I worked a lot of them, too! Pretty funny!

73, Zack W9SZ