[CQ-Contest] 80 Meter Phone Split Operation

Ken Widelitz widelitz at gte.net
Wed Mar 10 15:10:46 PST 2010

Now that the U.S. phone band extends down to 3600 khz, why on earth do
stations work split on 80 meters? I have trouble believing it is simply
because U. S. stations have their antennas cut for 3800. They are able to
work CW 3500 - 3600. Antenna tuner anyone?

I had success CQing above 3750 simplex, and I had success working split
transmitting around 3835 and listening around 3650. But I had no success
CQing simplex below 3750. I only tried working split after having no success
CQing simplex lower in the band.

73, Ken, K6LA / VY2TT