[CQ-Contest] Something we need to remember

Doug Smith dougw9wi at gmail.com
Sun Mar 28 23:18:39 PDT 2010

Gary McAdams wrote:
> This subject has been beat to death on the various Amateur radio
> websites and reflectors. The fact is that contesting as a whole impacts
> the overall community very little and usually only one mode at a time.

Truth is, there *is* a problem.  No, it's not with *every* contester, and yes, there *are* some who seem to think we should just *know* we aren't
supposed to be CQing on 14.213 -- that frequency has been assigned by the ITU to the Disease Discussion Net.

But yes, there *are* contesters who don't bother to check whether a frequency is occupied before transmitting.  They know who they are.  They need to
know they are a significant part of the reason why there are contest-free zones in some contests and pressure to create them in all contests.

And they need to stop.

(oh, BTW, this is by no means a phone-only problem.)

--

Doug Smith W9WI
Pleasant View, TN  EM66