[CQ-Contest] Something we need to remember

Paul Jones paul at nn4f.com
Mon Mar 29 13:56:32 PDT 2010

I may have been one of the culprits that generated a complaint, but I
hope not. I managed to find a clear frequency for me on 7.175, I asked
if it was in use and got no reply, I started calling CQ at 21:28Z, I
have to admit, I forgot about the SSTV frequency on 7.173,

I was running approx 95 watts to a 3el pointing at EU after making a few
contacts a station came on and gave me a 59+40 report, then he informed
me that I was splattering all over 7.173 and he was in NC and wanted to
operate on 7.173 and could I move and that us contesters just didn't
care...someone moved in just above me at 7.170.5 which I had to move
anyway because I couldn't hear a thing, I know the other station that
moved in was high power and I could hear them down to 7172...so at 21:36
I moved....after making at total of 10 contacts from 21:28 - 21:36

I wasn't getting any interference from existing stations on 7173,
because I checked after his comments...is it our fault that the other
stations filtering might not be as good as ours?

I'm listening to SSTV ops on 7173 right now, and up at 7175 I can't hear
a beep...

Paul - NN4F
Ridgeville, SC

On 3/28/2010 8:34 PM, Randy Thompson K5ZD wrote:
> During and after the WPX SSB Contest, I received a number of emails
> complaining about the behavior of various contesters on the bands.  We do
> all need to remember that we are sharing the road with others and must do
> our part to help get along.
>
> I have copied one such message below that should remind us of this.
>
> Randy, K5ZD

Paul Jones
Amateur Radio Station - NN4F
Ridgeville, SC - EM93tb