[CQ-Contest] Are contesters born or made?

Hank Greeb n8xx at arrl.org
Tue May 11 17:42:47 PDT 2010

In a book titled "the Outliers" the author states rather convincingly
that practice hones ability.  One example was that Bill Gates spent
hours and hours with a time-share computer which his (rather wealthy)
school district rented from a nearby university during hours which it
wasn't in use.  After the class was over, he and his cohorts asked, and
received, full privileges to use the time share computers when it wasn't
being used by the university.  It is estimated that he had more than
10,000 hours of computer programming experience when he started
college.  (and he never finished).  It is purported that 10,000 hours of
practice and study is a "magic number" between the elite practitioners,
and the masses.

The book is required reading for anyone who desires to truly excel in
his/her chosen (a)vocation.

73 de n8xx Hg