[CQ-Contest] Power Line & Switching station noise?

Jim George n3bb at mindspring.com
Wed Nov 3 05:37:10 PDT 2010

Paul, my wife and I are in a similar situation in a rural area 15 miles
west of Austin, TX. There is an electrical substation one mile away at
which approximately 160KV distribution lines come into a transformer bank
that switches to 14.4KV for local distribution to a rural residential area
and developments. We are on six acres. Most of our neighbors are on between
one and three acres. We have no RFI from the 160KV lines or from the
transformer bank. All the noise is from either tree branches that are not
cut back by the power company and that touch local 14.4KV lines, or from
loose connectors on the 14.5KV wiring system, which is above ground in our
rural setting. There have been the occasional noisy connections on a pole
at the lightning arrestor, or other pole connectors, as well as mercury
vapor lights which have loose-hanging wiring that induces HV form the
14.4KV lines. The transformer which changes 14.4KV to 240V for the house
rarely is a problem. In addition, I have located poles in a two mile radius
that are improperly "set up" by the power company with incorrect insulators
(called bells), or with loose and noisy ground wires. The incidence of
noise at the large transformer substation or on any of the very high
voltage distribution lines has been zero.

Jim George
N3BB