[CQ-Contest] SS CW question

Geoffrey Way wayg at cape-vision.com
Mon Nov 8 17:23:04 PST 2010

N1MM allows the use of control characters to adjust speed on the fly
within the macro:

< = faster by 2wpm
 > = slower by 2wpm

thus,

<<<<KA1IOR>>>>

in the middle of the macro jumps the speed up by 8wpm.
No more problem. Call gets sent, but far less time in *redundant*
info in the exchange. I send the call because I can just speed up on it.

The logic in omitting the call *as part of the exchange* is because
each station has already heard the other's callsign, and if the
station answering the CQ also sends the other station's callsign,
each one can also verify it was copied correctly.

I look at this last aspect as half full rather than half empty; if the
person answering my CQ fails to preamble the exchange with my
callsign, I can still verify he was REALLY sending to me by asking
for a verification of precedence if I suspect he's off my QRG enough
to possibly be working someone else. If he got my callsign wrong, I'm
not the one who is penalized in the scoring. I rarely send their call
when I S&P, except for situations like above where it's really messy
on the QRG and I want him to be reassured it IS him that I am working.
--
         Geoffrey Way KA1IOR

         websites: http://www.cape-vision.com/wayg/mrep
                   http://www.cape-vision.com/wayg/ka1ior