[CQ-Contest] SS CW question

Kelly Taylor theroadtrip at mts.net
Tue Nov 9 06:31:54 PST 2010

Hi all,

May I respectfully suggest checking the archives on this one?

Zack is right: even as quoted by Nate, the rule doesn't even specify amateur
licence.

However, if you check the archives, the ruling from the ARRL has been
consistent: as long as your exchange remains stable throughout the contest
period, it doesn't matter if you use the first year YOU were licensed, the
first year your host was licensed or the year you lost your virginity.

With callsign lapses, hiatuses from the hobby, moving and any number of
reasons, the ARRL simply has no way of knowing when each of the 1500 or so
ops every year were first licensed, nor do they have any incentive or reason
to audit every 'check' for accuracy (other than that received exchanges
match sent exchanges).

Use what makes sense for you. When I have guest opped and used the host's
call, I've used the check he's used in the past. (Cuts down on fill requests
from stations using a database.) I use my own check at home. (Again, cuts
down on fill requests.)

The ARRL has even gone so far as to say if you wish to pick two random
numbers (does anyone really think that EVERYONE sending the cute and very
easily read '73' was actually licensed in 1973?), go right ahead.

This really is another one of those topics that comes up EVERY SINGLE YEAR,
isn't it?

73, kelly
ve4xt