[CQ-Contest] The Meaning of Assisted

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Fri Sep 17 00:53:27 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Ward Silver" <hwardsil at gmail.com>

> In nearly every case, it (Assistance) ONLY refers to receiving
> information outside the contest bands/modes during the contest
> about the operation of other contest stations.

As a definition of what we consider to be Assisted,
to become Unlimited, this is a good start.

One significant omission to the definition, as it
stands, is skimmer which is an internal CW decoder.
There is general agreement that the use of skimmer
puts us in the Unlimited category.  For consistency,
I suggest this should apply to all CW decoders.

Another significant omission is remote control. When
using a remote rig it is hard to deny that you receive
information outside the contest bands/modes - simply
because you are receiving it by internet or other fixed
circuits from beyond the limits of the 500-metre radius
generally permitted in contesting.

73,
Paul EI5DI