[CQ-Contest] The Meaning of Assisted

Paul O'Kane pokane at ei5di.com
Sun Sep 19 03:13:24 PDT 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Joe Subich, W4TV" <lists at subich.com>

> Amateur radio (radiosport) is not "any competitive activity."

At this rate, I expect we'll soon hear that "black is white".

> Perhaps EME contests should ban the use of WSJT modes since
> the computer can copy signals not even detectable by ear and
> copy several of them at a time.

Yes, perhaps they should.

> Technology is a fundamental component of amateur radio and
> radiosport.

That's a long way from saying "anything goes".

> The only reason to exclude any technology that meets
licensing requirements is simple prejudice

This is not a licensing issue, it is a review of which
technologies are inappropriate for SO-Unassisted.  Is
everyone who disagrees with you prejudiced?

> I could care less about baseball bats.

Then I'll try again.  Why do Americas Cup entrants not
use wind-driven electric motors to make their boats go
faster?  Their website www.americascup.com emphasises
Teamwork, Technology and Tradition - that would be a
good slogan for multi-op contesters.

Nevertheless, as in every other competitive activity,
they have self-imposed limits on technology.

73,
Paul EI5DI