[CQ-Contest] Club/Group competition 275 km radius in CQ Contest(petition for change).

Milt -- N5IA n5ia at zia-connection.com
Thu Apr 7 18:31:07 PDT 2011

Joe,

Now you are going to exclude many, many folks in the rural areas from being
able to participate in a club.  Your views are accepted as your opinion, but
they certainly do not fit any better than Martin's suggestion.  In fact,
IMHO, Martin's suggestion has more merit that does yours.  The correct
answer is however, one size does not fit all.

My county in rural southwest NM is larger than a few states on the US east
coast.  It is 100 miles from top to bottom.  There are only two incorporated
towns in the county; the county seat, and the one I live in which has a
population of less than 200.  There are less than 5,000 total inhabitants in
the county.  Our community residents must drive 50 miles to shop at WalMart;
in another state.

Other than licenses which are issued to be used at mountain top repeaters,
there are 21 licensed individual operators in the county.  Of those 21,
perhaps 5 are reasonably "active".

There is no way to have "Local Club" meetings and competition as you
suggest.

I belong to three clubs; one headquartered 50 miles distant in the adjacent
state and has bi-monthlymeetins, one centered 200 miles distant in the
adjacent state and meets once a year, and another which covers portions of
TX, NM and AZ which meets twice a year in a formal setting.

In my 50 years licensed, I probably have driven 25,000+ miles to attend club
meetings; many more to participate in club activities and projects.

With regards to contesting, I am outside the radius of my club for CQ
contests.  Many others are in the same situation.

Think about it.

Milt, N5IA