[CQ-Contest] GQP Day One

John T Laney III k4bai at att.net
Sat Apr 9 22:21:44 PDT 2011

Hello all:  W4R/M with K4BAI and N4DU operating and driving
alternatively got a 22 minute late start, but picked up a few QSOs in
HARRis and MUSCogee Counties that hadn't been planned.  We have made 848
QSOs in 21 GA counties and are exactly on schedule now.  If we get a bit
ahead on Sunday, we may add BAKeR County after DHTY.  So, it will be
MITC, DHTY, BAKR, DHTY and on up GA520 home.  Hope everyone else is
having as much fun.  20M had relatively short skip most of Saturday, but
west coast and Europe had very strong signals.  40M likewise was pretty
good most of the day and night with good west coast and European
signals.  OM2VL was consistently the strongest from Europe.  80M was
noisy and our signal didn't seem very good, but we did work as far as ME.

GQP runs again tomorrow 1400 to 2359Z.  I am expecting someone to work
all 159  counties this year and many to pick the certificate up for
spelling G-E-O-R-G-I-A with special event suffixes and many others for
having participated in the first GQP in 1962 and the 50th this year.

Hope everyone has a nice Sunday and a lot of QSOs.  Thanks for all those
so far made.  73, John, K4BAI.